There is a burglary every 10 seconds in the U.S. Taking the time to “harden” your home and its surroundings against crime can help reduce the chances of a burglary happening to you.
Burglars can strike at any time – whether or not you are home. Most often, they take the path of least resistance and look for open windows and unlocked doors. They usually have a good working knowledge of the types of windows, doors and locks that are easiest to break or open, and will choose residences with these as their targets.
Following is a list of things you can do yourself at little or no cost.
- Don’t leave ladders, yard tools or other equipment outside where they can be used to climb on, or to pry open windows or doors.
- Lighting can be an effective deterrent to a potential burglar. Lights will prevent anyone from hiding in your yard and will discourage theft because burglars don’t want to be seen.
- Keep your garage doors closed and locked at all times. Also, make sure windows are closed and locked.
- Keep all outdoor shrubbery and trees trimmed and thinned. If trees are close to the house, they should be trimmed or removed so no one can hide behind them or climb them to an upstairs window.
- When you are gone, use timer switches for lights in different rooms. Set them for different times to resemble your normal pattern.
- Never hide keys outside the house. Arrange to leave them with neighbors or friends.
- Sliding glass doors invite jimmying or prying. To secure a sliding door, you can buy a special steel or wood bar at the hardware store.
These are just a few safety tips to help keep your home safe from burglars. Always be aware of your surroundings and BE SAFE!
See below for a list of possible safety discounts on your home insurance.
- Burglary alarm
- Fire alarm
- Automatic Sprinkler
- Smoke Detector
- Dead Bolt Locks
- Fire Extinguisher
Do you qualify for any additional discounts?